(As of 8/31/2021 - Information is subject to change)
Our Chicago partners, the Chicago Department of Public Health (City of Chicago: Food Protection Services) and SAVOR (exclusive caterer at McCormick Place) have confirmed that exhibitors will be permitted to provide samples within their booth at the 2021 NACS Show, however Assisted Sampling will be required to maximize attendee and exhibitor safety during the COVID-19 crisis and pandemic.
In accordance with 2021 NACS Show terms and SAVOR rules and regulations, food and beverage samples must meet the following requirements:
- Items dispensed are limited to proprietary products manufactured, processed or distributed by exhibiting companies.
- Prohibited Items: Products containing THC, CBD, kratom, marijuana-derived products, or products containing not legal substances cannot be sampled at the 2021 NACS Show.
- No exhibitor can offer samples or an opportunity to ingest cannabis in any form, including hemp-derived CBD products, at the Show.
- All exhibitors interested in sampling products in their booth must complete the Food and Beverage Sampling / On-Site Preparation Approval Form from SAVOR. Sampling forms is available in the Exhibitor Service Kit.
- Sample Sizes Permitted at 2021 NACS Show:
- Food: 6oz. portion
- Non-Alcoholic Beverage: 8oz. portion
- Beer: 7oz. portion (to allow for beer foam)
- Wine: 2oz. portion
- Spirits: 1oz. portion
Assisted Sampling is defined as the distribution of an approved, portioned sample of product served by an exhibitor representative or SAVOR attendant. *
- Self-service and buffets of samples will not be permitted at the 2021 NACS Show.
- Only assisted sampling of proprietary exhibitor samples will be permitted within the reserved booth. Sampling is not permitted outside of reserved exhibitor space.
- Exhibitors that do not manufacture, process, or distribute a product, but would like to sample food or beverage must order through SAVOR directly.
*Special Note: All alcoholic beverages must be handled by a BASSET-certified attendant. The BASSET Certification Program serves as a preventive measure to discourage over consumption and keep drunk drivers off the roads. The program is an educational and training tool to sellers/servers of alcoholic beverages to serve responsibly and stay within the law.
Assisted Sampling Protocols
- Foodservice Samples (e.g. pizza, hot dogs, chicken, tacos, sandwiches) - Exhibitors can cook, package and dispense packaged or wrapped foodservice samples (e.g. clamshell, paper or plastic wrapped). The packaged, plated, portioned, or wrapped samples are handed directly to an attendee by an exhibitor representative or hired attendant.
- Portioned Products – Individually wrapped, plated, portioned, or lidded containers, of portioned product are handed to attendees by an exhibitor representative or hired attendant. Wrapped or lidded samples are not available for pick-up (e.g. communal tray of samples) by an attendee. All samples must be handed to attendees regardless of packaging type.
- Non-alcoholic Beverages (coffee, packaged beverages, frozen dispensed beverages) – sample size poured by exhibitor staff and safely handed to an attendee. If not lidded or packaged, it is attended by staff to directly pour the beverage.
- Alcoholic Beverages – sample size poured by SAVOR staff and safely handled by BASSET-certified attendant to attendee. If not lidded or packaged, it is attended by SAVOR staff to directly pour the beverage.
Contact Rayva Myles at SAVOR with additional questions regarding sampling protocols.