In collaboration with our partners and stakeholders, NACS is working towards reducing its environmental impact at the NACS Show by using sustainably managed and renewable resources and operating more efficiently, as well as participating in initiatives that reduce the NACS Show’s carbon footprint, greenhouse gas emissions, food loss and waste, and increase the waste diversion rate by increasing recycling efforts.
Here are some of the ways NACS is working to improve its environmental performance at the NACS Show through efficiencies and new technologies.
NACS Show Post-event:
- 20+ lbs of attendee nametags and lanyards diverted from a landfill. With thanks to Terracycle, NACS collected used nametags and lanyards which will be responsibly and safely recycled by Terracycle.
- Tyson Foods and NACS showed their support for the greater Atlanta community on October 10th by donating 4,774 cases (38,526 lbs.) of assorted Jimmy Dean® and Hillshire Farm® products to the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
- NACS Show Exhibitors donated more than 100,000 pounds of product to the Atlanta Community Food Bank at the conclusion of the NACS Show. Donated product helped provided more than 100,000 meals to residents of the greater Atlanta community.
- 67,510 square yards of carpeting was recycled that was used in the EXPO and hallways. That equals 12.78 miles of 9’ wide aisle carpet!
2019 NACS Show location: Georgia World Congress Center (GWCC)
- Largest LEED Gold certified convention center in the world
- Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations with the ability to charge up to 26 cars at one time
- Three beehives housing about 180,000 honeybees
- 4,000 solar panels producing 1.6 MW of energy
- $28M invested in energy-efficient lighting and utilities
- Recycling containers available throughout facility
- Recycle Across America bin labels on trash and recycling containers in meeting rooms and common areas.
Event and Expo Operations: Freeman
- Responsible recycling of all equipment and materials through certified waste handlers
- Donation of older equipment to support local and community charities
- Reusable and recyclable rental exhibits
- Three-year program to reduce the use of foam-based graphic substrates
- Testing of soy-based carpet padding made from renewable sources
- Recycles all used carpet
Shuttle Bus Operations: Kushner & Associates
- Recipient organization of Green Ride Global’s (GRG) Green Preferred Supplier List (GPSL)
- Donate to a variety of carbon-offset programs
- Shuttle bus fleet includes:
- Detroit Series 60 Engine with Catalytic Converters and Exhaust Gas Recirculation
- Ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel (ULSD) and bio-diesel (B5)
- 12-speed transmissions that increase fuel mileage by as much as 2 miles per gallon
- Tires that decease vehicle weight thereby increasing fuel conservation
- Vertical exhaust systems (where available) that further reduce emissions and increase fuel conservation
Several official NACS Show hotel partners have set their own sustainability goals
Registration Operations: Experient, a Maritz Global Events Company
- Eliminated paper activity and reception tickets
- Attendee name badge recycling available at GWCC exit doors
- NACS Show mobile app
- Electronic registration confirmation
Food and Beverage Waste Donation
- Georgia World Congress Center partners with Goodr to capture excess food and beverages, which are donated to local non-profits and organizations
- Exhibitors may donate excess food and beverage products to local food rescue and housing non-profit organizations. In 2016, the last time the NACS Show was located in Atlanta, at the conclusion of the NACS Show, 114,412 pounds of leftover product from exhibitors was donated to the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
Here are tips for making your NACS Show experience eco-friendly:
- Blue recycling containers are located throughout the Georgia World Congress Center to encourage recycling of plastic bottles and containers, glass bottles, aluminum, clean mixed paper and cardboard. Recycling bins are labeled with standardized labels provided by Recycle Across America, a 501c3 non-profit organization committed to changing the way Americans recycle. Plastic utensils, chip bags, plastic wrappers, straws, food containers and food waste should be discarded in regular trash containers. Help prevent contamination of recycling bins: when in doubt, throw it out.
- Recycle your name badge at the conclusion of the NACS Show. Specially designated name badge recycle bins are located at convention center exits on the final day of the event.
- Filtered water stations are available throughout the Georgia World Congress Center.
- Download the NACS Show Mobile App to easily navigate the event via your mobile device.
- Take advantage of towel and sheets reuse initiatives that may be offered by your hotel. Don’t forget to turn off all lights and electronics when you leave your room each day.
- Several hotels in the NACS Show room block are within walking distance of the Georgia World Congress Center. Also, use the NACS Show shuttle service that stops at all official hotels and travels to the NACS Show daily and kick-off reception.